Thursday, February 19, 2009

Easing the Teasing (Case Study # 5)

It’s an awkward position to be in when all your friends are teasing somebody, and you genuinely want to help the person, but, obviously, you don’t want to lose your friendship with your peers. Now, honestly, I know I wouldn’t lose a percent of my friendship because helping somebody isn’t stupid or naive, it’s nice and caring. You really have to think before making a decision because if you truly realized the pain she was in and all the obstacles that were preventing this girl - who has not done anything wrong - from succeeding in life, you would've done something about it. Teasing just puts more burden on this girl. The girls did not express any empathy, responsibility, or respect at all. They didn’t respect the feelings of the girl and didn’t act with kindness and compassion or listen or consider her views. The girls did not act responsible for their thoughts, words or actions. They definitely were not polite, courteous or caring. They didn’t value themselves as well as the girl. They didn’t treat her with dignity.

I respect the girl as well as all pitiable people who try hard everday so that they can support themselves. These people don't have a choice. It's not her fault she’s not financially stable or given the resources many of us take for granted. I disrespect the girls that teased the deprived student. They might have a lot, but they don't really care or value what they have in life and just squander it for nonsensical commodities. I wonder if the lack of respect is used to cover up the fear that the girls might have about ending up in the other girl’s position. No one wants to face how fragile his or her own existence can really be, so they turn their fear outward. So many of us hate what we fear, and we fear the unknown.

I would do more than just sit with her. I would confront the girl, and without reluctance, be her friend. I think I would go and reflect on the things from her perspective. The more I’d get to know things about her, hear her stories and learn the daily obstacles she faces, the more I could understand where she is coming from. I would definitely pay for some of the ticket or all of it and lend her a dress to wear to the semi-formal because I wouldn’t want her to miss out on such a memorable event, which I clearly know she urges to go to. Wanting to see her joyfully dancing and having fun would inspire me as well as the people saying things about her to help out more often. Maybe going beyond just helping the girl and doing something powerful like writing about poverty in the school paper, doing a class presentation on poverty, encouraging a family charity project, giving a portion of your allowance each week to the needy or a place that supports them, or even visiting a poor part of town could benefit others as well as you, a lot.

9 comments:

  1. 100% man, just great, this is what we need in GLS. C'mon, give this guy a standing ovation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Roach, there's no way to double space my work. I tried to use enter, but looking at the preview, it wasn't how it was supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job
    its cool
    Took me a while to get it
    big words
    You guys should check the on Student
    Gone Pink i herd its the best
    here's the link: http://vpcigls.blogspot.com/2009/02/bullied-student-tickled-pink-by.html
    (please comment)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write alot..... :P
    But still nice work.

    ReplyDelete